Between the ideation phase and the growth stage, there’s a key moment when a project starts to take shape, when a product that’s been put through its paces is ready to launch, and when a brand finally finds its voice and personality.
The Focus program helps you get there. This is your time to hunker down with your idea, fuel up on resources, make meaningful contacts and structure your business to ensure that it will thrive.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time commitment projected: 25h per week
- Up to 6 projects selected
- Between 2,500 and 5,000$ grant
- Participation to C2 Montreal and HUB Montréal
Value of $ 20000 per incubated project
- 3 assigned guides per projects according to the startup’s needs
- 48h of personalized support by experts
- 35h of a series of workshops and training sessions catered for startups in the validation phase
- 15h of access to the 5G TELUS Lab, in collaboration with Lenovo
- 2 Nomade hot desks for the duration of the program
Should I apply?
You have a product on your hands and now you need to develop a go-to-market strategy that can support sales and fundraising to help you grow.
- You have a functional product
- You have a team that can deploy your project
- You have at least a year of existence
- You have up to 2 corporate clients if your product is for the B2B market or at 500 active users if your product is for the B2C market
- You want to develop a go to market strategy
- You are ready to meet new customers
What's in it for you?
Hit the market
Focus allows you to set the stage from A to Z for the launch of your project by emphasizing entrepreneurial skills. The program equips you to analyze the competition, solicit investors, obtain financing, learn about sales and marketing and develop yourself as a leader. And you will not be alone, far from it. A CEO in residence will be there to support you, in addition to guides and experts available to advise you.
December 5, 2019 : Application Open
February 2, 2020 : Application Deadline
End of February: Meeting the Steering committee
March 23rd: Program Begins
May 27-29, 2020: C2 Montréal
June 12: End of the program
November 2020: HUB Montréal
Call for projects
The application period ends. The selected projects will be announced by the end of February.
This program is run in the context of the Digital Creativity Hub. Initiated by the Board of Governors of the Society for the 375th Anniversary of Montreal, the Digital Creativity Hub aims to accelerate the development of companies in this field in order to strength and enhance Montréal’s visibility as a creative and innovative city.
Who can apply?
You are admissible to the program if:
- Your startup is at the crossroads of technology and innovation and wants to carve out its place in the entertainment or creative industry.
- The founders are able to demonstrate that they have already worked together and that they have the necessary knowledge to develop their business.
- One founder is working full time on the project.
- You are an inventor or entrepreneur working in Quebec that is duly constituted under the federal or Quebec laws in force and you are registered with the Registraire des entreprises du Québec-Own.
- The startup owns the rights to use the intellectual property of the idea, product or service.
- The startup or the project initiators has at least one participant available for all activities organized by Zú within the framework of the development program.
- You have up to 2 corporate clients if your product is for the B2B market or at 500 active users if your product is for the B2C market.
Projects will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Project using technology in culture and / or entertainment
- Artificial intelligence, 5G, Virtual reality, Autonomous things (Robotics), Artificial reality, IoT, Brain Computer Interface, Smart spaces, Smart Dust, Blockchain, Spatial Computing, Wearable technology, Haptic technology
- Innovative nature of the project, concept product or service
- The company's economic potential and its ability to monetize its project
- Creation of intellectual property
- Credibility of the project, the solution and the team
- Technorealism (if applicable)
- Contribution to the field of digital creativity and entertainment
- Potential for international development and outreach
- Collaboration and consultation with other players in the digital creativity industry
- Ethics and responsibility for the project and the proposed solution in terms of data processing and use
- Respect for the principles of sustainable development
The projects will be selected by:
- Alexandre Amancio, CEO, Reflector et Author
- Jean-Claude Bustros, Director, Mel-Hoppenheim School of Cinema
- Tony Buu, Director, Mobility Network & Technology Strategy, TELUS
- Marc-André Chagnon, Artist, Black Tiger Sex Machine, Confounder, Kannibalen Records and Artist
- Marie Côté, Associate Producer, International Affairs, HUB Montreal
- Julia Cyboran, VP Marketing & Audience, C2 International
- David Davidson, Disruptive network technology business development, TELUS Communications
- Claude Gagnon, Advisor and Investor in Technology for Media and Entertainment
- Dominic Gagnon, Co-Founder & CEO, Connect and Go
- Robert Hoffman, Senior Worldwide Industry Manager, Media & Entertainment, Lenovo
- Shauhan Kataroyan, Senior Analyst, Strategy and Corporate Development, Groupe Lune Rouge
- Brigitte Leblanc, Associate Vice President Canada & international, Banque Nationale
- Jenny Thibault, General Manager, XN Québec
Onboarded guides and experts
The guides at Zú aren’t afraid to go into uncharted territory with the startups that they mentor. They are all experts in their fields and are here because of their infectious energy and desire to pass on their skills, know-how and experience.
The guides at Zú aren’t afraid to go into uncharted territory with the startups that they mentor.
They are all experts in their fields and are here because of their infectious energy and desire to pass on their skills, know-how and experience.
The program gives you access to our Specialist Stations.
This is where you can recharge your batteries and fill up on expertise. If you have questions, resource people are on hand to answer them with clarity and precision. Whether you need support with legal service, accounting, financing, artificial intelligence or communication, a specialist will see to it that you have the assistance you need.
The tools to succeedSee all available tools
- A hot desk for the duration of the program
- Access to the meeting rooms
- Priority access to the 5G TELUS Lab
- Access to the Specialist Stations
- 24/7 access to the resource directory in the industry
The 5G TELUS Lab: An experimental hubDiscover the 5G TELUS Lab
Level Z4 – a production suite for immersive content (virtual, augmented or mixed reality projects)
Production room #2
Level Z4 – production and video editing room
Production room #1
Level Z4 - production and video editing room equipped with a ProTool station for audio editing