DIGITAL CREATION RESIDENCY
Call for research-creation projects
The Conseil des arts de Montréal, through its residency program, is partnering with Zú to offer a 3 to 6 month research-creation residency to a Montreal-based organization or artist with a professional practice in visual or performing arts, media arts, digital arts, film, music or a multidisciplinary practice. This residency seeks to develop new projects or expand existing ones, keeping in mind innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. The project should incorporate a technological component available in Zú’s facilities; 5G, VR/AR/XR, video-volumetric capture, motion capture, video editing.
Who is this residency for?
Artists, collectives and organizations involved in visual or performing arts, media arts, digital arts, film, music or multidisciplinary practice.
What are the program objectives?
- To provide CAM’s clientele with access to an experimental space, state-of-the-art technological equipment and expertise to foster entrepreneurial development, including legal, IT, accounting and financial resources within an incubator dedicated to the creative industries;
- Facilitate the creation of new works;
- To promote networking and collaboration between artists/organizations and startups supported by Zú
Deadline for submission : February 17 2023.
The residency includes :
- A grant of up to $10,000
- Support from Zú
- Access to a bank of hours (up to 20 hours) for legal, accounting, tax and IT consulting
What type of assistance is provided?
- Onboarding and support from Zú’s Lab Technical Advisor.
- Integration into the Zú community through the dedicated Creative Hub team and access to Zú’s Slack channel.
- Dedicated time slots and access to the Technical Coordinator to operate and facilitate the use of technology tools.
- Possibility to be connected with startups in the Zú ecosystem that develop technological solutions that can facilitate creation.
- Opportunity to organize a validation activity with the community to get feedback from peers during the research-creation project.
- Bank of hours offered by Zú’s expert partners, including access to legal, accounting and financing advice, and connections with Zú’s technology partners.
- Presentation of the project and the creation process to the community.
What are the services offered at Zú?
- Access to the Lab, the technical equipment and the services of the Technical Advisor, up to 50 hours. See the technical sheet of the available equipment
- Basic logistical and technical support during the residency
- Access to 5G Internet connection
- Onboarding at Zú and exchanges with the team
What is the period for the residency?
From March 15th to September 30th 2023
How long does the support last?
This is a one-time, non-recurring grant.
What disciplines are eligible?
Visual or performing arts, media arts, digital arts, film, music or multidisciplinary practice
What are the eligible mandates?
What are the general eligibility criteria?
- For an artist
Status and conditions:
- Be a professional artist;
- Be domiciled on the territory of the Island of Montreal
- For an artistic organization
Status and conditions:
- Must be a non-profit organization or artists’ cooperative that pays no dividends.
- Must be headquartered on the Island of Montréal.
- Must have a Board of Directors composed mainly of Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Must have a main mandate to create, produce or disseminate artistic worksProfessional requirements
- Possess a level of recognized and demonstrable competence.
- Be managed by qualified individuals.
- Present activities of recognized artistic value.
- Be staffed by professional artists and/or cultural workers.
- Artists’ collectives
Status and conditions:
- Must have a designated member responsible for the application.
- Must be a group of artists, regardless of the number (minimum of two).
- Must be composed of artists, two thirds of them Canadian citizens or permanent residents, with the number of members residing outside of Canada not to exceed one third.
- A majority of the collective’s members (50% +1) must reside in Montréal, including the person responsible for the application.
- Must be composed of professional artists.
What are the specific eligibility requirements?
- Have read the technical data sheet to ensure the technical feasibility of the project;
- Basic knowledge of the technologies available at Zú;
- Comply with the timeline specified for the residency.
- Have the desire to integrate a community composed of entrepreneurs, design students and researchers affiliated with the Faculty of Fine Arts at Concordia University;
- Participate in a debriefing meeting with the partners involved in the project
What must the project be carried out?
The residency will take place as follows:
- At Zú between March and September 2023
- The residency ends in October 2023 with the delivery of the final activity report.
- The residency must be limited to the dates provided.
How many applications will be accepted?
Only one project will be selected.
Who is ineligible to apply?
- Collectives and organizations that do not meet the general and specific eligibility requirements
- Artists’ collectives that are incorporated as for-profit or not-for-profit organizations
- Groups, associations, service organizations or artists’ agents
- Teaching, educational, or professional organizations
- Public or para-public organizations representing governments or municipal corporations
- Organizations registered as partnerships
- Activity sectors
- Organizations working exclusively in variety arts or comedy
- Applicants working exclusively in cultural mediation
- Incomplete applications
- Applications received after the deadline
Ineligible applications will not be considered by the evaluation committee.
Can I submit more than one application in the same year?
Artists’ collectives and organizations may only submit one application to this project per year.
Who must file the application?
- For artists: the artist themselves
- For organizations: a representative appointed to file the application
- For collectives: the person designated by the collective, who will receive the cheque on behalf of the group
What information and documents must I include in my application?
Pour toutes les demandes :
- Description of the project (artistic approach, creative context, impact, feasibility, consistency of the project with the incubator)
- List of participants (artists, designers and other collaborators)
- Short curriculum vitae of artists (maximum of two pages per artist) including their addresses
- Technical sheet
- Detailed project budget
- List of Internet links featuring previous works by the collective, the organization and/or artists
For organizations only:
- Letters patent and general regulations of the organization for first-time applicants or if changes have been made since the last application
- Most recent financial statements
How are applications evaluated?
The selection of the project is made by a jury of professionals from the ecosystem, representatives from Zú and an observer from CAM.
What are the evaluation criteria?
The evaluation committee will take into account the program objectives and the following criteria:
- Artistic merit : 80 %
- The project’s artistic merit and quality
- Innovative nature and originality of the artistic approach
- Project interest for developing the creative industries
- Ability to integrate the technological tools available at Zú
- Quality of the previous artistic work of the artist, the organization or the collective member.
Project management and financial stability : 20 %
- Feasibility and practicality of the proposed project
- Practicality of the proposed budget and financial soundness
- Financial health of the organization
What is the response time?
The selected project will be announced by email to the applicant in late February 2023.
Modalité de paiement
How will the grant be paid?
The $10,000 grant will be paid in two instalments:
- $7,500 at the start of the residency
- $2,500 upon submission of the final report
By accepting payment of the grant, the collective or the organization agrees to complete the activities covered by the grant and to respect the accompanying conditions communicated upon acceptance of the request.
The collective or organization agrees to:
- complete the project in accordance with the specified conditions
- notify the Conseil, as soon as possible, if it finds it is unable to complete the project covered by the grant. Depending on the circumstances, the collective may be required to repay the grant, in part or in full
- if required, submit the required activity and financial reports at the required intervals
- if applicable, include in its report photos, videos or any other relevant free from rights visual element related to the completed project that can be used for promotional purposes for the Conseil
For more info, email us at email@example.com
Deadline for submission : February 17th 2023